Friday, January 12, through Sunday, January 21, 2018, marks the ninth-annual Kansas City Restaurant Week. With more than 190 restaurants participating in the city-wide charity dining event, Becca and I thought we’d share some of our favorite restaurants in the KC area.
We leaned a little toward participating restaurants for this post (marked with an * and in italics). That said, we did add a few who aren’t participating, as well. We broke our list into Splurge, Everyday (leaning heavily toward beers, beef and breakfast/brunch) and Budget.
But, if you’re not familiar with how Kansas City Restaurant Week works, the KC-area restaurants will set multi-course lunch and dinner menus at price points of $15 and $33. It’s a good way to try a restaurant at a value. (Here’s a great guide for first-timers.)
Kansas City Restaurant Week then partners with local charities, giving 10% of the proceeds. They raise money to strengthen the community. So far, it’s been about $2 million. Money raised from this year’s event benefit Kansas City Community Gardens, as well as the Kansas City Regional Destination Development Foundation and the Greater Kansas City Restaurant Association Education Foundation.
There’s a lot to like about where Kansas City food has been heading. Toward the end of 2017, Zagat named Kansas City one of the “Most Exciting Food Cities in America.”
So if you decide to officially participate in Kansas City Restaurant Week or simply head out for a bit, here’s the list:
He Says She Says KC (HS<3KC) Favorite Restaurants
Whether it’s for a rare date night or other special occasion, here are some of our KC splurge-worthy choices:
- * Avenue’s Bistro (MUST … TRY … BACON-WRAPPED DATES!)
- Anton’s (Anton likes his beer too — many o’ taps. So, this could’ve moved down the list but the menu moves it back up. When there, try the jerky)
- The Farmhouse
- * Room 39 (When the goat cheese beignets are on the menu … watch out!)
- * Webster House (Historic venue right next door to the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts serves some of the best food in town AND boutique shopping. Arrive early)
- West Side Local
- * Novel
Everyday (Beer, Beef & Brunch)
Everyday does NOT mean pedestrian. In fact, these are our go-to places for great fun and food. We leaned heavily towards places where we go to grab a beer, a burger or BBQ, and our best brunch spots. Bloody Mary, anyone?
- * Barley’s Brewhouse
- Burg & Barrel
- * Blue Moose
- * Brewery Emperial
- * Beer Kitchen
- * Char Bar
- The Corner Restaurant
(She: A half order of biscuits and gravy is sufficient, Brent!)
The category is listed budget, but the food is still delicious. And the atmosphere also may have something fun to offer.
- Browne’s Irish Market
- Milwaukee Delicatessen
- Plantain District (A must-try Cuban food truck!)
- Roni’s Pub (A complete dive tucked in a Overland Park strip mall. You can often find them on Groupon. And you should try it. One of the best fried chicken sandwiches we’ve tasted and a great place to grab breakfast. Check the hours first. )
- * Waldo Pizza
- Wooden Spoon