Welcome to The Hump! Podcast …. In episode 23 of The Hump! Podcast: Just a Blip (Blip Roasters that is) … hosts Brent Bowen and Chad Beland return from a long winter … like Game of Thrones winter. Only to hibernate again because of the coronavirus.
The fellas open season 2 (safely from the confines of their respective homes talking over the interwebs) chatting about how the coronavirus affects their lives. It’s taken a particular toll on Chad’s favorite coffee shop — Blip Roasters. And we talk about how people can help owner Ian Davis save Blip and, perhaps, win a vintage motorcycle to boot. And this episode’s Triple D: Yeah. It’s coronavirus related, too. And deplorable.
The Hump! Podcast Episode 23 Show Notes – Just a Blip (Save Blip Roasters)
If You Missed The First Season
Miss the first several episodes of The Hump! Show?
- You can watch replays on Facebook. (You also can catch us LIVE 6 p.m. CST most Thursdays on Facebook.)
- Listen to episodes on The Hump! Podcast Archive page
- Subscribe to us (be sure to rate us and leave us a comment, too) on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes (Apple Podcasts), Google, Spotify and Stitcher
In Ep. 23 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad Talk Coronavirus and Impact to Blip Roasters
As they discuss Kansas City COVID-19 ad nauseam, Brent and Chad also say Save Blip Roasters …
- Talk about Ian Davis Owner of Blip Roasters has been immediately forced to shut down both locations and lay off all staff. It’s a tough time for all small businesses. Ian was to join the fellas on the show but got called away last-minute to an urgent matter. (Next time, Ian)
- Ian is currently doing a campaign to help save Blip and making a huge personal sacrifice.
- Inside Blip, Ian had an old motorcycle, 1982 Yamaha Virago. Ian is auctioning this bike off to help raise funds to bridge the gap from shutting down. Deadline is April 7. Winner is announced April 14.
- Chad committed to giving the bike back to Ian if he were to win this raffle —because it’s the least he could do given this situation
- Chad is one of Ian’s loyal patrons. He’s been going there for about 5 years for coffee. Since Ian had actually been in his old place. Ians originally coffee house had caught fire (he’s been through a lot)
- If you’re not familiar with Blip. The West Bottoms location was in at least a 100-year-old building, it’s basically a coffee, motorcycle joint and every Sunday they would have “Blip church” … cool community atmosphere.
Restaurants and Other Retail Affected by Coronavirus
- Brent talks about how the Iron District also has had to get creative since the drive by traffic is limited with the “stay at home” order. As a result, they launched a Container Club Membership program.
At Home … It’s Streaming TV and Family Rollercoaster
- They chat the milk situation at Chad’s house – certain consumers don’t understand that you drink ALL of the cereal milk in the bowl during a pandemic.
- Streaming television. There is no bottom to streaming TV. You can just keep going. Every one on the planet is being bonded by show.
- That crazy Tiger King has gripped America’s fascination. It’s certainly a train wreck you can’t look away from.
- Brent discusses how CBS All Access is a lie. If you call it ALL ACCESS, shouldn’t have CBS Sports Network, too. Brent would like to watch some KU basketball re-runs.
- Oh no. Brent’s Disney+ account gets hacked. He recovers it only to find it’s now in a foreign language.
- Both fellas find joy in rewatching Chiefs games — especially the Super Bowl (over and over and over again). Thanks NFL Network for being free during the end of the world.
- Aspects of life have changed with this “stay at home” act — Chad’s getting like 10,000 steps a day, spending more time with family. It seems like a simpler time. Give it a year, and the fellas believe we will look back and appreciate the time we got to spend together.
- Kansas City Young Audiences will host a virtual showcase April 11 as a benefit for its Artist Emergency Fund (teaching artists have lost nearly $60,000 in revenue because of school and event cancellations).
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent and Chad play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move …
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call someone — especially during this time of COVID-19 — who spits on groceries or packages?
We discuss and debate on the show, but feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments (keep it clean folks, as they reserve the right to delete any personal attacks or defamatory information).
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
You can watch Brent and Chad LIVE 7 p.m. CST most Wednesdays on Facebook (and sometimes Instagram — when it works).
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …
- He Says She Says KC Facebook Page and like/follow us if you haven’t already …
- Or … simply subscribe to us and rate us/ leave us a comment on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes, SoundCloud, Spotify and Stitcher
- Also check out the He Says She Says KC blog … and subscribe to the newsletter