Welcome to The Hump! Podcast …. In episode 21 of The Hump! Podcast: Here For The Beer … hosts Brent Bowen and Chad Beland chat with Alana Gwinner, Kansas City’s ultimate craft beer enthusiast and proprietor of Eleven Three KC.
Alana is a craft beer enthusiast excited for what Kansas City is bringing to the beer scene. And she wants to share it all with you! Join her! Cheers! #staylokcal
The Hump! Podcast Episode 21 Show Notes – Here For The Beer
If You Missed The First Several Episodes
Miss the first several episodes of The Hump! Show?
- You can watch replays on Facebook. (You also can catch us LIVE 7 p.m. CST most Wednesdays on Facebook.)
- Listen to episodes on The Hump! Podcast Archive page
- Subscribe to us (be sure to rate us and leave us a comment, too) on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes (Apple Podcasts), Google, Spotify and Stitcher
In Ep. 21 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad Talk With Alana Gwinner About KC Craft Beer Scene …
But before they discuss Kansas City Craft Beer ad nauseam, Brent and Chad …
- Share a few toasts while downing some Martin City Brewing Co. Rescue Mild. A portion of proceeds go Unleashed Pet Rescue, a Kansas City dog shelter.
- Their toasts of the week include …
- Our guest and KC craft beer influencer Alana Gwinner of Eleven Three KC. And Chad donating a 20-pack of Hot Wheels to Alana to help a five-year-old boy in Nebraska who’d lost all of his during the recent floods.
- Brent’s life-sized Yoda and the 1985 Kansas City Royals World Series Championship cap he wears
- Boulevard Brewing Co. Space Camper becomes Dark Phoenix. And Chad at the Space Camper event. Can you name another Boulevard Brewing Co. movie product placement? Hint: The movie scared the sh#% out of Brent … Becca loves it.
- Royals opening day and the official start to Spring is finally here! 💐
- What we’re up to …
- Though they didn’t wear their matching membership T-shirts, the group compares notes on City Barrel Brewing! Chad stakes a claim as the first brewery patron to enjoy having the garage doors open for nice weather
- With family flocking into town, Brent and Becca canceled their Spring Break plans. Instead they held a short staycation. Their AirBnB was on point. Sadly no visit to 3 Sons Brewing Co. for Chad. Though Chad did nice beer conversation about beer with his Uber driver and his Almond Joy home brew.
- The whole crew couldn’t make Planet Comicon either! Got highlights from the event? We’d love to hear them.
- Throwing a recreation basketball tournament so producer and Brent could see the movie US.
- It’s the final weekend of Kansas City Young Audiences‘ exhibit TA-DA! Art Benefit at the Buttonwood Art Space. Helping KCYA bring Destination Imagination to KC, the largest conference in the city since 2008. Doling out tickets to Tony Award Winning Star of Hamilton Renee Elise Goldsberry September event with the Kansas City Symphony.
This Week’s Topic — Kansas City’s Craft Beer Scene
Alana Gwinner is proprietor of Eleven Three KC where she currently writes reviews, journals and keeps our community up to date on the local craft beer scene. If you’re a craft beer fan living in KC, she is a MUST follow on Instagram.
Check Out Kansas City Beer Festivals
We hit KC Brew Fest last month … What 2019 Beer Festivals will you be attending this year?
Some highlights from Alana’s list:
- Spring Fling (April; sadly we missed it) — Rochester Brewing and Roasting Company was there, too. Chad nearly left the studio
- Parkville Microbrew Festival (April 27) — mostly home brewers so you can meet people who just LOVE beer!
- Boulevardia (June)
- Brew and Chew at East Forty Brewing Co. (May)
- Caturday Cat Crawl benefiting KC Pet Project (May)
- Get Ripped Brew Fest by Big Rip (June)
- Hip-Hops Hooray — an urban brew fest (August)
How Eleven Three KC — Alana Gwinner — Rules Craft Beer
Brent and Chad quiz Alana on all things about the Kansas City craft beer scene:
- They discuss with Alana how, during the federal government shutdown, she worked with Crane Brewing and other brewery and community partners to help furloughed federal employees by collecting donations of essential items. The crew salutes beer as the great collaborator, the Kansas City beer community, and Alana as a connector for doing good.
- What beer or event convinced Alana to say… “I want to dedicate time/effort to this delightful beverage?”
- Beer preferences and the seasonality of beer.
- How Alana has been working with Flying Saucer to coordinate meetups for female beer enthusiasts or those wanting to learn more about beer (even some mythology): Women’s Night Out. They’ll be brewing a beer soon with Callsign Brewing Company. Perhaps named WASP — a waffle inspired beer? The fellas call for chicken and waffles! Chad gives a shout out to Servaes Brewing Company — awesome beer by female-run brewery.
- How Brent and Chad waited outside Waldo Pizza for it to open so they could get some Founders KBS.
- What excites Alana about the 2019 KC craft beer scene?
- Alana’s call online to KC female beer and cocktail creators for her next beer calendar. She tells our listeners about the first project and what to expect with the 2020 version.
- Alana’s opinion on “Heavy Beer Here” in Kansas starting in April. And a plug for Mike’s beer delivery! (Missouri side only, people. Chad is ready to move downtown so he can limit himself to ” I drink and know things.”)
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent and Chad play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move …
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call someone who likes to stroll into the beer hall or tasting room and name drop the brewery owner?
We discuss and debate on the show, but feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments (keep it clean folks, as they reserve the right to delete any personal attacks or defamatory information).
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
You can watch Brent and Chad LIVE 7 p.m. CST most Wednesdays on Facebook (and sometimes Instagram — when it works).
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …