Welcome to The Hump! Podcast … In episode 36 of The Hump! Podcast: The State of Beer … After teasing it the last few episodes Brent Bowen and Chad Beland chat about beer, breweries, and what is going on in that industry right now — including bad behaving breweries. The fellas debate a list of the best beer cities.
The fellas continue season three, recording from home for now but are looking forward to being in person soon… chatting all things inane and profound (have you actually listened to the show).
And this episode’s Triple D: What do you call someone who shouts out at a public beer event… at the brewery where the beer was brewed… to the brewer… that the beer is bad?
The Hump! Podcast Episode 36 Show Notes – The State of Beer
If You Missed The First Two Seasons
Miss the first season or so of The Hump! Show?
- You can watch replays on Facebook. (You also can catch us LIVE 6 p.m. CST most Thursdays on Facebook.)
- Listen to episodes on The Hump! Podcast Archive page.
- Subscribe to us (be sure to rate us and leave us a comment, too) on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes (Apple Podcasts), Google, Spotify and Stitcher.
In Ep. 36 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad Chat Good and Bad Craft Beer Behavior.What Craft Beers Are The Fellas Drinking?
Chad is drinking a dutch beer, Export Porter 1750 by Brouwerij Kees.
- Brent is also drinking a porter, a chocolate peanut butter imperial porter from Horny Goat.
Beer… What’s Your Problem?
Founders and Boulevard – WTH?
- Brent mentions how Founders beer, one of the fella’s old favorites, has been accused of having a race problem or not being inclusive of all races. Brent said it has gotten to the point that he is boycotting them and all their products.
- Within the last few months news has come out about the Big Brewery in KC – Boulevard. They have been having some issues with harassment problems within their company. Chad talks about how the industry is male-dominated and that there is probably a toxic masculinity problem going on. He says a lot of it is how you react once you find out about harassment and many at Boulevard did not react to it very well.
- Brent talks about how after these issues came out and then were handled poorly, many top people at Boulevard resigned. However, many Boulevard employees have come out saying how they love working there and that they just had a few bad apples who unfortunately were in leadership positions.
When is it okay to go back to supporting these companies?
Chad says, that when he sees companies trying to right their wrongs and actually seem to be “walking the walk” that it might be time to forgive. He is cautiously optimistic that Boulevard is on the right track. Brent talks about how there is a lot of choices now so if you do decide not to go back to the specific company there are many others to choose from.
Good Beer Hunting
One of Brent’s students shared this website with him, Good Beer Hunting. It helps people find beer and breweries that are doing good when it comes to social issues. Chad mentions that while Boulevard has had other issues, they are very green and eco-friendly. Brent talks about bringing brewery people onto the show and they will try and hit on all three, eco-friendliness, racism, and gender bias.
KC Local Beer News
- Brent talks about how Bier Station, a local place, organized a vaccine drive at the brewery! Read the article here. Brent knows the owner because they used to work together and Brent talks about how they actually went through a hard time. Just a few weeks ago Bier Station was robbed but were still able to turn around and do the vaccine drive.
- Brent talks about a beer list put out by Major league baseball of each region’s favorite brewery and for the Royals it was Boulevard. With the controversy with them this year, will that change?
Bogus Beer Lists
- A 10 Best article about the Best Beer Cities in the U.S. came out and then viewers could vote on them as well. Brent reads off the full list on the show so listen if you are curious! Brent and Chad contest some of the cities that they put on the list. Some include Atlanta, Indianapolis, and St. Louis. They suggest since there was a voting aspect maybe certain towns had a really strong community voting them up.
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent and Chad play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move …
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call someone who shouts out at a public beer event … at the brewery where the beer was brewed … to the brewer … that the beer is bad?“
- Brent says there are all sorts of beers and beer preferences. Generally, the beer isn’t bad it just isn’t to your taste. Brent says it starts out at least, as a dumbass move as the person is just ignorant to how beer works.
- Chad says not every brew is for everyone. The Brewmaster was just putting in his own opinion on what tastes good and yelling at someone over their taste is just… well… you’ll have to listen to find out.
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …
- He Says She Says KC Facebook Page and like/follow us if you haven’t already …
- Or … simply subscribe to us and rate us/ leave us a comment on your favorite Podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify and Stitcher
- Also check out the He Says She Says KC blog … and subscribe to the newsletter