Welcome to The Hump! Podcast … In episode 40 of The Hump! Podcast: The Best of Beer, Worst of Beer … The fellas are back again with guest Alana Gwinner, proprietor of Eleven Three KC. They chat about favorite beer cities in the US, favorite KC beer and the bad behavior in the craft beer community lately. When is it okay to go back to Boulevard Brewing Company?
The fellas continue season three, recording in person, which you can catch on Facebook… chatting all things inane and profound (have you actually listened to the show).
And this episode’s Triple D: What do you call someone who belives craft beer is only for middle-aged white males?
The Hump! Podcast Episode 40 Show Notes – The Best of Beer … Worst of Beer
If You Missed The First Two Seasons
Miss the first season or so of The Hump! Show?
- You can watch replays on Facebook. (You also can catch us LIVE 6 p.m. CST most Thursdays on Facebook.)
- Listen to episodes on The Hump! Podcast Archive page.
- Subscribe to us (be sure to rate us and leave us a comment, too) on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes (Apple Podcasts), Google, Spotify and Stitcher.
In Ep. 40 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad along with guest Alana Gwinner chat about their favorite beer spots and some bad things going on in the beer community! What Craft Beers Are The Fellas Drinking?
- Before anything, Chad says they should cheers to the CDC for lifting the mask mandate on people who are fully vaccinated.
- Alana made herself a beer margarita with Apex Aleworks Berliner Weiss, tequila, and mango juice.
- Chad is drinking a Dogfish Head 90 minute Imperial IPA. Brent is drinking whatever Chad brings him, which this week is Lagunitas Stereo Hopic IPA.
The Best of Beer… Worst of Beer
As part of our drink series, we wanted to invite a friend of the program onto the show …
Alana Gwinner is the proprietor of Eleven Three KC where she currently writes reviews … journals … and keeps our community up to date on the local craft beer scene.
Now.. we’re itching for beer travel (and IT IS American Craft Beer Week)… If you were to step out of KC for a beer where would you head?
- Alana says she would go to either Chicago or somewhere on the East Coast between Vermont and Maine. She says she has met many people in the beer community from those cities and would love to go have a beer with them.
- Chad says his last beer trip they spent some time in Portland, Maine and he loved it. Brent says one of his favorite breweries is Trillium in Boston. Brent says Vermont is on the top of his list but also Milwaukee and Cleveland are being planned.
- Speaking abroad, Alana really wants to go to the UK. However, Chad and Brent warn about the warm beer. Brent says he thinks Londoners have it figured out after he went to a bar over there with a playground attached. So, the parents would get to have their fun while the kids were playing.
What has you discouraged about the craft beer community?
- The fellas and Alana talk about the Boulevard Brewing news. Since all this has happened Alana says she hasn’t seen any changes. Men are still men. She discusses going to a memorial a few weekends ago during which they worked their way around a few bars/breweries. In the group they were hanging out with a guy offers to drive her home since she had been drinking and he lives in the same area. Then, on the car ride home, completely unprompted, he pulls his %@*# out. More boys behaving badly. Chad says that he is sorry and that it is very disappointing that the community is like this even after such a big scandal.
- Chad talks about how Boulevard’s initial response was completely insufficient. Alana agrees discussing how they just swept it under the rug. Brent says in any industry there will be bad apples but now we are seeing a consistent trend in this community. In this community where everyone is supposed to be so close it is especially sad.
- Chad discusses how after all the scandals came out about Boulevard many people stopped supporting them. Employees of Boulevard then pushed back and started discussing that even with everything going on they loved their company and didn’t want people to stop supporting them just because of some bad moves on the leaders part. Chad asks Alana to way in on this kind of bizarre situation.
- Alana says Boulevard is such a huge company in KC and they have help put KC on the map. Their employees are coming out saying you have their company has handled it poorly but that they still are supporting them. It is impossible to support the employees while not supporting the company. Also she says it is hard to support employees who stood by while these things were happening.
What would have to change for you to be able to support BLVD again?
- Brent says he is having the same issue with Founders Beer and wondering when he can go back to drinking their beer. Alana says they need to clean house. It sounds drastic but she says all the people who were there saw what was happening and did nothing. Thus, they’re much of the problem. Chad says he really does expect better behavior from such a prominent KC company. Brent questions why everyone was so thrilled that John McDonald was brought back. He says we can’t know that he wasn’t part of the issue before. Chad agrees saying that if the last year has taught us anything that bringing more old white guys in probably isn’t the best course of action.
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent, Chad, and Alana play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move …
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call someone who believes craft beer is only for middle-aged white males?“
Brent adds for Alana’s benefit that they also believe women only drink seltzers. Chad says you can easily make a case for all three D’s on this one. This was a first this week with each of them deciding on a different D! Listen in to find out which one each of them choose and see if you agree!
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …
- He Says She Says KC Facebook Page and like/follow us if you haven’t already …
- Or … simply subscribe to us and rate us/ leave us a comment on your favorite Podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify and Stitcher
- Also check out the He Says She Says KC blog … and subscribe to the newsletter