Welcome to The Hump! Podcast …. In episode 27 of The Hump! Podcast: The Jordaculator … hosts Brent Bowen and Chad Beland talk Kansas City Chiefs draft and some financial planning and managing finances during coronavirus with Jordan Nietzel, who is a Chartered Financial Analyst, Certified Financial Planner AND … perhaps most importantly … a fellow craft-beer enthusiast.
He’s also one of the first listeners of the show, definitely first time iTunes review (5 star of course). Cheers to a versatile Jordan!
Brother John Duo join this week as music guest to brighten the mood.
The fellas continue season two (safely from the confines of their respective homes using Squadcast.fm) chatting budgeting, managing one’s finances during the coronavirus pandemic and the volatility of the markets.
And this episode’s Triple D: We call out our government officials who performed a little insider trading. C’mon people! Aside from being a criminal, we discuss what “D” they are.
The Hump! Podcast Episode 27 Show Notes – Managing Finances During Coronavirus With The Jordaculator (TM)
If You Missed The First Season
Miss the first season or so of The Hump! Show?
- You can watch replays on Facebook. (You also can catch us LIVE 6 p.m. CST most Thursdays on Facebook.)
- Listen to episodes on The Hump! Podcast Archive page
- Subscribe to us (be sure to rate us and leave us a comment, too) on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes (Apple Podcasts), Google, Spotify and Stitcher
In Ep. 27 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad Chat Managing Finances During Coronavirus Pandemic With Jordan Nietzel
What Craft Beers Are The Fellas Drinking?
- Brent is drinking Prairie Artisan Ales, Pirate Noir
- Jordan is drinking an Alma Mader Brewing Company Mirror Line
- Chad is drinking BKS Artisan Ales Counter Culture Indian Pale Ale
A toast for Chad for dropping off a lovely charcuterie board to Brent’s mother-in-law. (Chad wants to put the thank you note on his resume.)
What Did The Fellas Think of The Chiefs Draft?
- Jordan didn’t watch the draft and couldn’t tell you who we drafted. He has a lot of faith in who we have on our team already.
- Chad thought the pick of Clyde Edwards-Helaire was a bold move
How Could We See Such Huge Swings in The Market Right Now?
- If you look at where the S&P 500 is today it’s basically at the same price we were at in October of 2019.
- If you’re trying to time the market, good luck.
What is Jordan’s Perspective on All The Volatility We Are Seeing?
- It’s bizarre where we are in the market when all of the news is negative, but ultimately markets are forward looking. So the market is possibly expecting a sharp recovery, or the government to step in until we get to the end of it.
What Does Jordan Nietzel Think of Nervous Investors Who Say “This time is different. We’ve never had a global pandemic before?”
- Jordan offers that every time is different. Every market crash is different.
- If it wasn’t different then we would all know what to expect for the next market crash. It was Mark Twain that said, “History doesn’t repeat but it often rhymes.”
- If you go back and look at all these market crashes, they all have one thing in common and that is they eventually end. Eventually the economy recovers. You will feel the pain if you don’t diversify your stocks. Why? Take for example, retail stores right now.
If You Happen to Find Yourself Unemployed or Furloughed, What Steps Would You Take?
- Potentially 20-30% of the U.S. workforce is going to be going through some form of joblessness.
- The first thing I would do is file for unemployment, it could take a week, or even up to a few weeks to receive your first payment.
- Then look at your budget and see where you have some fat where you could trim. (Even craft brewery expenses.)
- Figure out your health insurance situation as well, looking at Affordable Care Act (ACA) exchange or Medicare.
- Then take stock of assets — if you have an emergency fund that’s great. The fellas chat how much a person should have in a rainy day fund — because it’s raining! The Cares Act will help if needed, but this should be your last resort.
- Lastly, if your budget is tight, contact your lenders and landlords. Still, if you’re able to make the payments, should you?
So is Jordan stuff it in the mattress or coffee can it in the backyard kind of guy? Or … Does He Love a Good Sale?
- Personally not opening his retirements accounts and looking at them. Just don’t look.
If Jordan Could Provide One Thing That’s Giving Him Hope?
- People are generally helping each other out, so we’re going to be okay. This time is so tough, I don’t want to minimize that.
- People are feeling pain and anxiety but eventually we will get through this together, and things will be better on the other side. We’re here to help each other.
The Hump! Music Guest — Brother John Duo
Kansas City jazz duo join the show to perform a delightful rendition of George Strait’s Amarillo By Morning. And then close us out with a Beach Boy’s track.
Show them a little love at PayPal.me/brjohnstorytime
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent and Chad play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move …
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call someone who takes financial information not available to public (any senators out there?) and then makes a stock transaction?”
We discuss and debate on the show, but feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments (keep it clean folks, as they reserve the right to delete any personal attacks or defamatory information).
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
You can watch Brent and Chad LIVE 7 p.m. CST most Wednesdays on Facebook (and sometimes Instagram — when it works).
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …
- He Says She Says KC Facebook Page and like/follow us if you haven’t already …
- Or … simply subscribe to us and rate us/ leave us a comment on your favorite Podcast platform, such as Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify and Stitcher
- Also check out the He Says She Says KC blog … and subscribe to the newsletter