Our guest, Angie, is Kansas City’s – if not the Midwest’s – premiere geek reporter. She shares all manner of geekiness on her blog … KC Geeks.
Angie is a Kansas City native and founded KC Geeks in 2015 because she wanted there to be a one-stop-shop for Kansas City geek resources. Local meetup groups and clubs do a great job in their niche, but Angie has made her mission to showcase all “flavors” of geekiness.
This Kansas City Geek definitely encourages people to embrace every geeky part of themselves.
So … buckle in for the guys geeking with Angie Pedersen and enter the geek side of life.
The Hump! Podcast Episode 9 Show Notes – Geeking in Kansas City With Angie Pedersen of KC Geeks
If You Missed The First Several Episodes
Miss the first several episodes of The Hump! Show? You can watch replays on Facebook or listen to them:
- The Hump! Episode 1 – Who Are These Clowns?
- The Hump! Episode 2 – Death & Taxes
- The Hump! Episode 3 – Walk The Earth
- The Hump! Episode 4 – Parenting Ain’t Easy
- The Hump! Episode 5 – Time Warp Again
- The Hump! Episode 6 – Cargo Shorts — The Walking Man Purse
- The Hump! Episode 7 – We Be Landing Soon with guest Cathy Robinson
- The Hump! Episode 8 – We Be Landing Soon, Part Deux with guest Cathy Robinson
In Ep. 9 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad Talk Kansas City Geek Life … WON’T YOU BE MY GEEKY NEIGHBOR?
The two buddies who like to drink a lot of craft beer together, entertain geek guest and talk one of their favorite topics — geek life and summer movies.
But before sharing a pint with Angie Pedersen of KC Geeks, the fellas …
- Start geeking over one of Brent’s favorite breweries — Kansas City’s Crane Brewing Co. Their beer of the week is Crane Brewing Co. Coconut Milkshake New England IPA.
- They provide their Toasts of The Week …
- A final toast to Chad’s daughter for graduating high school and for now being a Kansas State Wildcat. (Brent reluctantly agrees to this toast).
- How Brent has managed to keep his four pounds lost off despite it being American Craft Beer Week and him drinking a lot of beer.
- And chat about what they’ve got going on:
- How were the graduation festivities? And how many parties DID Chad hit?
- When will they see Deadpool 2 … the electric boogaloo? And does Deadpool 2 live up to the hype?
- The final KC Brewery Tour (Tap Tour) round is upon them but it has to wait until the next weekend. The guys have the north loop left KC Tap Tour Season 2 “catch-up” consumption plan. That is comprised of Big Rip, Calibration, Cinderblock and Colony. (Sadly. Season or Session 2 is now over)
- When it comes to geek gear … why decide between beer and geek clothing … when you can have both in one T-shirt? Brent starts geeking over the Game of Thrones, Baratheon Stout T-shirt Chad game him several years ago.
- Brent’s supposed to go watch the Royals vs. Yankees, but the Kansas City Royals are so bad is the Craft & Draft enough of a draw to still go.
This Week’s Topic — Geeking … With Angie Pedersen, KC Geeks
In the interview, the fellas and Angie Pedersen:
- Kick it off by discussing how mixing alcohol and muscle relaxants are a bad idea
- Chat about Angie’s KC Geeks blog, why she started it and the resources she provides (there’s NO RIGHT WAY on how to geek, i.e. we discuss her multiple flavors theory)
- How KC Geeks covers not only traditional geekiness (e.g. pop culture) … but also other topics worthy of addressing when talking about geek culture. Namely, they chat the podcast features and mental health resources Angie includes on her site.
- Dive deeper into the mental health panel she helped coordinate and participated in at Planet Comicon.
- Discuss what Geek Girl Brunch is, how she helped form the Kansas City chapter, and what a typical brunch Kansas City Geek Girl Brunch outing looks like? (After hearing Angie’s favorite Kansas City brunch stops, they want to go, too.)
- Talk summer movies including (some of these may be on Netflix already):
- Deadpool 2 (May 18)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)
- Upgrade (man whose family is killed gets cybernetic weapon implant – scifi/action – June 1)
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (Mr Rogers documentary – June 8)
- Incredibles 2 (June 15)
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (July 6)
- Teen Titans Go! To The Movies (July 27)
- The Meg (Aug. 10)
- Replicas (Keanu Reeves clone scifi/action flick- Aug. 24)
- Venom (Oct. 5)
* Since the interview, she’s posted a great guide to free summer movies in Kansas City (Angie’s known to often publish free geek to low-cost geek outings.)
- Get to geeking over Brent’s Star Wars memorabilia, particularly his life-sized Yoda and original Burger King Lando Calrissian glass, while discussing Solo: A Star Wars Story
- What Angie’s go-to “pick my spirits up” geek movies or shows are?
- And … while she’s with us … how did Angie feel about Avengers Infinity War? (Brent has to separate her from Chad).
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent and Chad play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move. This episode’s Triple D move. And it’s travel-related at that:
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call … “Someone who likes (or toasts) his or her own content on social media?”
We discuss and debate on the show, but feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments (keep it clean folks, as they reserve the right to delete any personal attacks or defamatory information).
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
You can watch Brent and Chad LIVE 7 p.m. CST most Wednesdays on Facebook (and sometimes Instagram — when it works). We try to keep the show to NO MORE than 45 minutes live and 30 minutes in replay.
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook, YouTube (near future) and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …
- He Says She Says KC Facebook Page and like/follow us if you haven’t already …
- Also check out the He Says She Says KC blog … and subscribe to the newsletter
- Or … simply subscribe to us and rate us/ leave us a comment on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher ….